SEZs to go green
Commerce ministry has proposed mandatory norms for making special economic zones (SEZs) green, a move that could raise initial capital expenditure by promoters and developers although it could lower operating costs in the medium to long term.
So what are those Green Rules?Â
- Building envelope according to energy conservation building code.
- External and internal lightning (minimum of 25% for internal) to be BEE star rated and solar lit.
- Common space lighting to use LEDs.
- Solar power to generate 50KW of power per ha.
- 50% hot water requirement to be solar.
- In situation water-generated power.
- 100% water harvesting.
- Zero waste generation.
- Internal transportation via electric buses and rickshaws.
- Exclusive pedestrian and bicycle lanes
Source: Ministry of Commerce & Industry.