History behind Hyderabad streets and locality names
Basheerunnissa Begum, daughter of Nizam II was married to a Paigah noble. She received lands in dowry. The village came to be known as Begumpet.
The jagir granted to Khairunnisa Begum daughrer of Ibrahim Qutub Shah, came to be known as Khairatabad.
Land gifted by Humda Begum ( the wife of Nizam Ali Khan Nizamul Mulk) to the merchants of Hyderabad for trade and commerce, finally developed as Begum Bazar.
After 1933, the Residency bazar was renamed Sultan Bazar, when these areas were returned to the Nizam, by the British (Residency).
The V Nizam (Afzalud Dawlah) gifted land to the grain merchants for trade and commerce. The place was named Afzal Gunj.
Named after Sikander jha (1806) (III Nizam). The Village where British troops were stationed.
Ma Saheba Ka Talab:
Hayat Bakshi Begum, wife of Quli Qutub Shah VI – was called Ma Saheba. The tank constructed by her to irrigate lands of Mallepally village, was called Masaheba ka Talab. Finally it was called Masab Tank.
Kadve Saheb Ki Galli (lane):
After a person, who was always angry-faced and talked ill of others. This lane is in the old city.
New locality named after Himayat Ali Khan – Azam Jha – eldest son of VII Nizam – Osman Ali Khan ( in 1933). His name was Himayat Ali Khan.
New locality named after Hyder Ali, who was 1st Talukhdar (District Collector) and owned lands in the village formerly the Jagir of Vaheed Unnisa Begum, wife of Nizam. The locality is called after him, as Hyderguda.
The garden of Sir Asman Jha, Basirud-dulah – a Paigah Noble, who had a palace at the Garden.
A revenue department employee, named Sonaji, who owned lands and resided in this village. Sonaji became Somaji and the hamlet came to be called ‘Somajiguda’ . (Guda is from Godem a hamlet).
Named after Malik Yakoob, a servant of Abdulah Qutub Shah Golconda King where he resided had a market, hence the name Malakpet.
A Jagir village of Sayed Meer Momin, Dewan of Golconda (1591).
A Valet and steward of Nizam (VI) Mahboob Ali Khan. This man had his first shop here.
Named after Sarwari Afzal Bai, mistress of Arasthu Jha. Dewan of Hyderabad, who granted a Jagir,and constructed a palace and Garden for her.
The village named after Abdul Samad with the titles; Dabir-ul Mulk, a noble man.
Noor Khan Bazar:
A market developed by Noor Khan, who came from Lucknow, during the time of the II Nizam.
A locality to the West of Lakdi-ka-pul. The barracks of Abyssinian Cavalry Guards of Raja of Wanaparthy – (1910) (Abyssinia is the old name of Ethiopia, an East African country).