Following is a letter to his son from a renowned Hong Kong TV broadcaster cum Child Psychologist.
The words are actually applicable to all of us, young or old, children or parents.!
This applies to daughters too.
Dear son ,
I am writing this to you because of 3 reasons
- Life, fortune and mishaps are unpredictable, nobody knows how long he lives. Some words are better said early.
- I am your father, and if I don’t tell you these, no one else will.
- What is written is my own personal bitter experiences that perhaps could save you a lot of unnecessary heartaches. Remember the following as you go through life;
- Do not bear grudge towards those who are not good to you. No one has the responsibility of treating you well, except your mother and I. To those who are good to you, you have to treasure it and be thankful, and ALSO you have to be cautious, because, everyone has a motive for every move. When a person is good to you, it does not mean he really likes you. You have to be careful, don’t hastily regard him as a real friend.
- No one is indispensable, nothing is in the world that you must possess. Once you understand this idea, it would be easier for you to go through life when people around you don’t want you anymore, or when you lose what/who you love most.
- Life is short. When you waste your life today, tomorrow you would find that life is leaving you. The earlier you treasure your life, the better you enjoy life.
- Love is but a transient feeling, and this feeling would fade with time and with one’s mood. If your so called loved one leaves you, be patient, time will wash away your aches and sadness. Don’t over exaggerate the beauty and sweetness of love, and don’t over exaggerate the sadness of falling out of love.
- A lot of successful people did not receive a good education, that does not mean that you can be successful by not studying hard! Whatever knowledge you gain is your weapon in life. One can go from rags to riches, but one has to start from some rags!
- I do not expect you to financially support me when I am old, neither would I financially support your whole life. My responsibility as a supporter ends when you are grown up. After that, you decide whether you want to travel in a public transport or in your limousine, whether rich or poor.
- You honour your words, but don’t expect others to be so. You can be good to people, but don’t expect people to be good to you. If you don’t understand this, you would end up with unnecessary troubles.
- I have bought lotteries for umpteen years, but I could never strike any prize. That shows if you want to be rich, you have to work hard! There is no free lunch!
- No matter how much time I have with you, let’s treasure the time we have together. We do not know if we would meet again in our next life.
Watched this Video the day my dad left me :(… Unlike in the movie my dad was always an inspiration to me…
But I want to carry one of my dad’s legacy throughout my life…
6 years ago when his sister suddenly passed away – he quit on life. Stop working completely, cut off relationships and shut himself out from the world. Literally has done nothing for 6 years and not knowing how to get out of his despair.
He asked me for help and I said, ‘meet me half way and put in the work’…
I’m committed to this man to show him there’s a great life out there worth living and will help create an opportunity for him to get ahead.
Running thru the same despair for my ailing dad. Time to carry myself, my mother & sister out of this.
Thinking & working on ways to brink back DAD… Though there are many doors closed I don’t want to give up HOPE & keep knocking as many doors and get a solution for him…
I keep HOPE’ing;
- I hope doctor accepts my request
- I hope god gives strength physically & mentally to my dad
- I hope we goto Bangalore
- I hope my dad recovers
- I hope Bangalore is green
- I hope
After the surgery I spent a whole day in Hospital… I was given back the screws which were lying inside me for 5 years…
It was a whole day spent with my father and enjoyed the beauty of coconut groove and a dog kennel behind my room…
I must really thank god for giving me such a wonderful father was so selfless… The way we took care of me made me feel ashamed for hurting his emotions a lot of time…
This is another occasion my father showed how far he loved me and I’m thankfull to god for giving such a wonderful person as my dad…
All I wish is god gives me an opportunity to keep home happy henceforth…
Then it was some time On iPad, watching TV and taking some short official and courtesy calls…
Finally the day got over with my uncles visit where in we all shared what we are upto and some lighter moments…
Overall it was worth only for the reason that I spent a day long with my father and I feel happy for that…
Reached home early in the morning after a boring Saturday party and straight away went to bed. Then I slept till the afternoon and had to wake up for two reasons;
- Firstly it was my fatherâ€™s birthday and had small party.
- Second is Iâ€™ve fixed an appointment for second half of the day.
My sister woke me up to celebrate my fatherâ€™s birthday. I must thank her for talking all these initiatives as Iâ€™m very bad at doing things like these. She has brought a cake as surprise and this is the first time we are celebrating my fatherâ€™s birthday as he has always stayed away from us and I think this is the birthday where in he has stayed with us and we all as a family were at one place.
Since my father is a person who has very less desire we had nothing to gift him. So we thought of buying him some shares which he trades.
After the birthday party I rushed out to a place called Vedal near Periyapalayam to see a piece of plot. Again it was a finest drive which I longed for. We drove along old traditional roads of Tamil Nadu which were not affected by the expansion of highways. Then we travelled through a stretch of forest and finally came the spot.
Iâ€™m not sure if this place develops immediately or not. Iâ€™d love to buy a piece of plot as it is within my affordability and its been 3 years since I purchased a land. Also there are small mountains and it would be a perfect place to have a small bamboo house and spend peaceful time or also we can party hard as it doesnâ€™t disturb anyone.
From there we went to the famous PeriyaPalayam Amman temple which is visited almost 15 years back and a lot have changed since then. Since it is a normal day temple was not crowded and we had a nice darshan.
Then while driving back we spent all the money and neither of us had a single penny. After a long time my bank account has gone empty and Iâ€™ve been living with credit card for last 10 days. Â While returning we didnâ€™t realize that there was a toll. Then we were thinking what to do and one of my friends asked me to get all the old toll tickets in hand. We thought we can elope by the time the toll keeper checks the right ticket.
To our surprise the toll has a barricade where in we can proceed without paying. Also the toll rate was Rs.31 and we didnâ€™t have anything other than credit card. Then with brave face my friend gave all 5 toll tickets to the toll keeper and asked him to check which the right ticket is. Without even checking he opened the gates asking us to leave. We didnâ€™t know if he realized if we were conning him or he didnâ€™t have patience to check all the tickets.
It was a thrilling experience and for long I wanted to explore things without any money on hand. I always thought of putting myself in such a situation and it happened today. Iâ€™m thankful to god for creating such an opportunity and I want to be on similar situations even in future.
Over all it has been a very interesting and heart filling day as;Â
- I celebrated my fatherâ€™s birthday.
- Went for site visits to buy land which is one of my hobbies.
- Went to a temple which I use to visit as a kid.
- And for the first time I experienced a situation to manage without money.