One of the many inspiration i’ve in my life is the evolution of craiglist.org the way it evolved form a email distribution list to world’s number one classifieds portal. I wanted to share some insights about the evolution;
- Craig Newmark began the service in 1995 as an email distribution list of friends, featuring local events in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Became a web-based service in 1996.
- Incorporated as a private for-profit company in 1999.
- Craigslist expanded into nine more U.S. cities in 2000
- Four each in 2001 and 2002, and 14 in 2003.
- The site receives over one million new job listings each month, making it one of the top job boards in the world.
- The site serves over twenty billion page views per month.
- With over eighty million new classified advertisements each month, Craigslist is the leading classifieds service in any medium.
- As of 2009, Craigslist operates with a staff of 28 people.
Its sole source of revenue is paid job ads in select cities â€“ $75 per ad for the San Francisco Bay Area; $25 per ad for New York City, Los Angeles, San Diego, Boston, Seattle, Washington D.C., Chicago, Philadelphia and Portland, Oregon â€“ and paid broker apartment listings in New York City ($10 per ad).